Monday, April 1, 2013

A weekend at home

Ah, that's so weird to say! But I've realized that when we're on trips, when I say "I'm ready to go home," I mean London. This was a free weekend, so it was nice to just spend time in London. London really has become my home away from home.

On Thursday morning, Meagan and I went to Carnaby Street, an area my mom had suggested I visit. It was pretty neat, it's just a pedestrian street with some shops. They were a little pricey for us, but it was cool to look inside. It had a cool feel to it, and I'm sure it's amplified on the weekends, when there would be more people out. Typical London weather, on our walk over, we were sweating and it was sunny. As we were leaving, it got cloudy and we were freezing. There's just no happy medium with this weather!



Thursday night for film, we went to see Compliance. It was, hands out, the most disturbing movie I have ever seen. It tells the (TRUE) story of on particular fast food restaurant in Ohio which received a call from a police officer saying that one of their cashiers stole money from a lady. They singled out the young girl, and she was strip searched by the employees until the police could get to the store because they were "tied up elsewhere." It just escalates as the "officer" makes them do more and more things to the girl, which results in a rape. It wasn't until one employee refused to do what the officer said that everyone realized something was wrong. The power of authority is incredible. The scariest part is that at the beginning of the movie, they said that NOTHING was exaggerated. Also scary was the fact that it happened in over 70 restaurants in 30 states. It was from 1991-2004, so I wasn't really aware of it when it was happening. Despite making me want to leave the theater, it was a very well done movie, which I honestly would recommend. As we left, everyone kept talking about what they would do, how they wouldn't go along with the demands of the officer, but you don't know. The only way to help yourself is to watch movies like this to be aware of the ways you can be manipulated. 

After that uplifting movie, a few of us girls decided it was a night to go out to our favorite club, the Roxy, especially since it was a one pound cover all night. Well, we got there at a normal time (when there is usually NO line), and there was a line around the corner! Apparently everyone's home for Easter. I waited for about 45 minutes without moving much, so Kara Lucy and I decided to call it a night. Fiona and Meagan stayed and they didn't even get in until 1 am. So ridiculous.

On Friday, everyone just slept in and hung around the house. Kara, Fiona and I went to this place called Giraffe nearby that was really delicious. That night, a big group of us went out to a club called Fabric. It was 18 pounds to get in, which was ridiculous. It was definitely not worth it. The drinks were super expensive, and I didn't know how to dance because it was all house music. I'm glad I went to have the experience (and it was fun at first), but it's definitely not something I would do again.

Saturday afternoon, we went to the Portobello Road Market. It was HUGE, at least 6 blocks. It was mostly antique things, but it was still cool to look at. Most of us hadn't eaten too much, so we got food and looked around. It was pretty overwhelming and there was so much to take in. It was also a little cold so I forgot to take pictures, but if you look back at my Notting Hill pictures, that's it! Just with a million stalls set up along the road. On the way back from the market, Fiona, Kara, Meagan and I got Cadbury egg McFlurries from McDonald's. There are definitely different McFlurry flavors here, so obviously we have to try them all. It was really cool-crushed up Cadbury eggs with caramel, mmm!

That night, some of Morgan's friends from work and his friends came to our flat to pregame and then go out. I wasn't really able to talk to many of them, and I was pretty tired, so Sarah and I left early and came back to the house. 

On Sunday, everyone just hung out and watched the Oxford/Cambridge boat race on TV. We had thought about going to the race, which started at 4:30 and is on the Thames, but it was FREEZING, and apparently we would have to get there super early to get spots. It was just as exciting watching it on T.V., to be honest. 

Sunday evening, everyone came up to Flat E for an Easter dinner! About 5 people cooked delicious appetizers, main courses, and desserts, and we all just inhaled it all. Everyone was really sweet and made sure there was something for me to eat. I hate being a burden, but everyone is really considerate. It wasn't everyone in the house, but it was still really nice to talk and spend time with everyone, especially on a holiday. I haven't gone home for Easter since I've been at JMU, but I still miss my family on holidays. It was nice to have my London family fill the void. Plus, it's only 3 more weeks until I'm home, ahhhhh!

No comments:

Post a Comment