Monday, April 15, 2013

Last weekend in London

That's really, really sad to say, but it's true. Although a rainy weekend, it was still a good one.

On Thursday night, a bunch of us headed over to our favorite club, The Roxy. They have a 1 pound cover and half price pitchers on Thursdays, so it was really our only economic option. The music was fun, but a bit hard to dance to. The Roxy has different themes every night, and Thursday was "radio," where they played radio hits as well as indie music (such as "Send Me On My Way" by Rusted Root and "A Punk" by Vampire Weekend). It was still pretty awesome. I'm going to miss the Roxy!

We all stayed out pretty late on Thursday night, so we took it easy Friday. There was supposed to be an optional group outing to Kew Gardens, but it rained all day; even more perfect for being lazy. I just worked on papers for finals and relaxed.

Saturday morning, I headed over to Borough Market on the South Bank. Everyone else had already gone, so I ventured by myself. It's a really cool market (and HUGE), and has three big sections. I came to realize that the market is really great if you're looking to buy raw meat or meals involving meat. I went looking for breakfast, and as a gluten free vegetarian, it was a little tricky. I did find an entirely gluten free bakery, though! Their food was quite delicious, but a little rich for the morning. I'm glad I got up and went, because it was an absolutely beautiful morning: sunny and warm. The weather turned cooler and rainy in the afternoon, so I definitely lucked out.
Some yummy vegetarian dishes from the one veggie stand!


On my way home, I snapped a picture of the escalators in the tube. When we first got here, we were FREAKED OUT by these huge escalators that took us all the way underground. As in, the first time I went down I felt like it was the drop of a rollercoaster and my stomach was in my throat. Now it's like second nature to go on one or two of these within a few minutes. I wanted to remember how ridiculous they look, as well as give those who haven't been to London a taste! Some are taller, and some are shorter!

Saturday evening, a group of girls went to a delicious Indian restaurant nearby. Yet again, they got us with the "so...crackers and chutney for everyone?" It never ends up being terribly more expensive, but it's 2 pounds more than I anticipated on spending. That night, we heard about a bar in Camden that was playing 80s, 90s, and 2000s music. We hopped on a bus and headed over to the Barfly. It was AWESOME. Possibly one of the most fun nights I've had here, music wise. One floor played better music (more pop hits), but no one was dancing. Upstairs, though, it would alternate between live music and rock hits, and EVERYONE was dancing. It was awesome, and I'm really sad we didn't go sooner. 

On Sunday, since it was absolutely beautiful (70 degrees and SUNNY), we headed to Hyde Park for a picnic! Everyone brought  mimosas and baguettes and we dined in the sunshine. It was so nice to not wear a jacket and be a comfortable temperature. Unfortunately we only got a couple hours of sun, as it turned cloudy and a little cool around 4. It was still great. For dinner, we headed to Giraffe for a delicious meal!


Naps were necessary!

This week is essentially another weekend, though. I only have to go to 2 classes this week, and they're all only going to be about an hour, just to turn in a paper and talk about the class. It's really weird that things are winding down and we're writing finals. I'm not going to talk about it any more because it's going to make me upset, but it's still really bizarre. 

No comments:

Post a Comment