Monday, February 11, 2013

"Wait, what floor are we on?"

On Saturday afternoon I went to the one, the only: Harrod's. I knew I had to go once at just browse, so Kara, Kelsie, Sarah and I decided to see what all the fuss was about. We got there around 5 pm, which was perfect; we got to see the store all lit up outside.



On class outings, we had driven past the store, but up close, you realize that it really does span almost an entire block in both directions. The window decorations felt like the ones in New York City at Christmas time. The Chinese New Year was on Sunday, so a few of the windows were dressed up with Chinese dragons and other related decorations. 

As soon as we walked in, we were immediately overwhelmed by the makeup department. We wandered through a few rooms, following the signs above each doorway which told us what was coming next. Eventually, after picking up a store guide brochure, we made it to the food rooms. Kelsie and Sarah wanted to get chocolates for their boyfriends for Valentine's Day, so Kara and I wandered around looking for something for ourselves. I had told myself I wasn't going to buy anything, but I had to get a little something just so I could get a Harrod's bag! I settled on a dark chocolate bar with orange slices in it. Definitely one of the cheapest things there at 5 pounds. As I expected, it was delicious. The store was so crowded and so much like a maze that Kara and I actually lost Sarah and Kelsie at one point! Harrod's feels like its own city, it's so big. 

Without an agenda, we wandered around the store, at least peeking into each room. We spent most of our time on the first two floors, which were womenswear. Each of us just shuffled through, open mouthed. They have EVERYTHING: house goods, kid's designer clothes, and even a Harrod's gift shop. We tried to find the most expensive item in the store. A 217,000 pound bracelet took the cake. That's about $400,000. You could buy a HOUSE with that kind of money. It's ridiculous. A lot of the items didn't even have price tags on them; I was afraid to know how much they would have been.  After about 2 hours, we started to lose momentum and called it a night. I'm definitely glad I went to check it out, but it was definitely a one-time thing for me. I was scared to even touch anything because I didn't want to break it and have to pay for it.

We decided to check out a Thai place near the British Museum that we always pass. Since it was a Saturday night at around 7pm, we were scared it would be really crowded. We walked in and it looks totally empty. The food was pretty good, but not the best Thai food I've ever had. I ordered a curry because it seemed cheap, but then found out that rice was extra. Restaurants are so sneaky about that here! Also the service wasn't great; we had to keep reminding them of what we had ordered. I probably won't go back, but I'm glad I finally tried it. It was a low key night. Most of the group was going to try to the BAFTA red carpet the next day (at 4am), so we all went to bed around 10 pm in preparation.

No comments:

Post a Comment