Wednesday, January 16, 2013

In less than two days...

I will be boarding a plane to go to London. It's becoming more real and surreal as I inch closer each day. It's been cold and rainy here so I suppose it's helping me get mentally prepared for London weather. It still isn't any fun.

On Saturday (after recovering from what I think was the flu), I was able to go to JMU and say goodbye to my friends there. I'm so glad I did. I miss all of my friends and family already, but it still doesn't feel real; I still feel like I can just drive back to JMU whenever I want. I know I'll get to Skype and Facebook everyone, but that's not really the same thing. For everyone reading this, I really love you and miss you. This was a good winter break; I saw the people who are most important to me and I was really able to relax.

I packed my suitcase tonight and as of right now it's 45 pounds (whew!). I'm seriously hoping I have everything I need and don't have to add too much more stuff. It feels weird packing my life for three months into just one big bag. I know I'll do plenty of shopping there though, so having enough STUFF isn't really a big concern. For those of you who know how many clothes I own, the fact that I'm only bringing one big suitcase, a carry on suitcase (13 pounds=impossible), and a backpack is pretty much a miracle.

As I get closer I'm just getting so excited to be in London. I've never been overseas (the furthest I've been is Canada), so this is going to be totally new for me in every aspect. I don't really know what to expect in terms of everyday life, and that both exhilarates and terrifies me. I'm really looking forward to experiencing different cultures from my own. My travel plans include Paris, Italy-Rome, Florence, Venice-, Dublin, Amsterdam, and perhaps Madrid. If anyone reading this has suggestions for things to see or places to stay in any of those places, feel free to comment! As I said, I've never been overseas so I have my own touristy agenda, but I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Well, this will be my last post in America. I leave the 17th around 6:30 PM EST and arrive the 18th at 6:55 AM London time. My next update will be from my flat in London! I think I'm going to have to take something to help me sleep tomorrow night because I AM SO EXCITED.

Cheers!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lizzie!

    If you get a chance to go to a show at the Moulin Rouge when you're in Paris, it's amazing! Also, if you're going into the Louvre, look up about using the back entrance b/c there is apparently no line there (I got in without any wait). And in Amsterdam the Anne Frank House is a must see! The books all say the line will be super long, but my mom and I went and barely had a line so I think it's hit or miss.

    Hope you have a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete